Connect the dots

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Potty Talk

In our house growing up, it was an old, large Chinese take out plastic soup container or if it had a handle it was from the 99 cent store or Odd Job. In Tagalog it's called the tabo. That was how my mother cleaned our behinds after a number 2 session on the toilet. In most parts of the world that don't have plumbing or toilet paper, the bucket of water is beside the squat toilet or hole in the ground and also why no one eats or will shake with their left hand. As immigrants, my parents brought this timeless tradition to America. I didn't think there was anything strange about it until I went to kindergarten and was only allowed to use toilet paper. 


Before we arrived in Tanzania, all you got was a large plastic bucket filled with water and a smaller one to scoop the water out. But then a new version in Tanzania. Every time I entered a bathroom, there it was. The answer to the bidet in a smaller version of the garden hose: the bum gun. Up the eastern coast of Africa, all throughout India, Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia, this handy little device is a staple fixture in all bathrooms. Although I'm still using toilet paper as a primary source, this has supplemented and I must say, enhanced, the whole toilet experience. But I'm not crazy about the exposed hose version and the deluxe warm-seat Japanese toilet seats require electricity, not to mention a serious splurge. 

Basic model
Deluxe


I think I've found the one. It's sleek, doesn't take any extra electrical work and does exactly what the hose version can. It's the Eco-Washer. The seat attaches just like any other toilet seat but a discreet hose on the side attaches to the water source. Turn the knob and the water pressure forces a spout out from under the seat and voila, a spray to your nether regions to complete the job!



Who else is with me on this? Where can I order one? Is there a way to get one with warm water without all the electrical work?

No comments:

Post a Comment